Thursday, May 20, 2010

Music: Two Different Tears


Trying to catch up on being gone, and figured I would start out with some music news. Wonder Girls release their first English single, I say first because Nobody was just their last Korean single just done over with English Lyrics. Who are the Wonder Girls? At one time they were the biggest girl group in South Korea and have begun a push to cross over into the English market.

2 Different Tear is a rather good song, I like it a lot. I'm most impressed by the fact their English has greatly improved since Nobody and it doesn't sound weird or unnatural. It has a retro disco sound, so its at least different than most American pop songs out right now. I think it could do reasonably well if it gets enough promotion, so I am sure they will wind up on So You Think You Can Dance again for a performance. The dance routine isn't bad, its catchy and usually thats how pop songs in Korea get mega popular: great dance routine that anyone can learn.

As for the video, its amusing. I think my favorite part is JYP's video mission message and especially the line, "Enjoys dancing with sexy ladies". It definitely has a cheese factor to it, considering it all reminds me of a 70's disco in Korea. Bobby Lee is in it, though I think having another Korean American comedian might have been better: Margaret Cho.

I wish them luck, and do something no Asian star has yet to do: Become a force in American Pop music.

No comments:

Post a Comment