Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Burning down the....Jesus?



I became famous! If by famous I mean I live 3 minutes up the road of something that became a national story. It is quite rare to live by a national icon, I imagine I know what its like now to live by the Eiffel Tower, Seattle Tower, Sears Tower, so on....towers are popular icons. The picture helps with some size reference, it was 62 ft high and oddly proportioned.

The giant Jesus statue, also known as Touchdown Jesus or Big Butter Jesus, was hit by a bolt of lightening and burned down. The statue was not made of stone, which I assumed, but foam and fiberglass. There is honestly nothing left of it but the steel frame underneath it.

Here's the video!


I enjoy the girl's incredibly deadpan voice, she sounds like Becky from Roseanne. I also get the impression she is probably one of those atheist people, as no Southern Ohio Christian girl would be that calm as Jesus burns in front of her.

And pretty much every major new source and website carried the story, I saw it on Drudge, Towleroad, Yahoo News, the Guardian, Fox News, and so on and on. See, and that all happened 3 minutes from my house.

So people might be wondering why I am not even more famous by taking a video of it and having my deadpan voice narrate the end of an iconic sculpture. I was sleeping, I slept through the entire thing.

And if you think this the end of the statue, you under estimate the money raising power of a mega-church. The Bishops, the couple that runs the church, have already begun to work on rebuilding it. I guess there are some true recession proof jobs...


No comments:

Post a Comment